Are you ready for one of the easiest dishes you will ever make? This recipe is great for a quick side salad or even a football watch party side (if you dare be the person who brings something other than mini sausages). Trust me, your gut will thank you in the end when you put this in it next to the beer cheese dip. Don’t get me wrong, I love “football food”, but I always struggle with finding something made from REAL food at those things. If you’re anything like me, then this dish is about to solve all your problems. Feel free to throw in some fried tofu for a little extra texture and protein. This also goes great as a chip dipper – blue corn tortilla is my favorite!
If you aren’t vegetarian//vegan, grilled chicken would also be an excellent addition to this dish.
On the note of football games, I’m not talking about the Packers//Lions game yesterday… For next weekend’s Packers//Vikings game, I’ll be making chorizo and acorn squash chili with pumpkin ciabatta so stay tuned for that recipe!
Superfood Quinoa Salad
Servings: 6 servings
Time: 30 min
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/4 red onion (optional)
- 8 oz mini heirloom tomatoes
- 1-2 avocados
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place quinoa and 1 cup of water on stove top on medium heat. Allow to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While the quinoa is cooking, remove the seeds from the pomegranate. This is literally the hardest part of this recipe, but so worth it.
- Drain bean, dice 1/4 red onion, cut tomatoes in half, and cut avocado(s) into cubes. Mix together with juice of one lemon.
- After the quinoa has cooked for 15 minutes, stir in the frozen corn. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- After the quinoa/corn has cooked for an additional 5 minutes, combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy! Salad should be kept in airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.